Looks like the clamav rules are just fine.

Only the clamav daemon writes to syslog. So I added a rsyslog config:

$ModLoad imfile

$InputFileName {{ clamav_scan_log_file }}
$InputFileTag clamd:
$InputFileStateFile stat-{{ clamav_scan_log_file }}

$InputFileSeverity error
$InputFileFacility local7
$InputRunFileMonitor

Then some cron jobs to run clamscan on directories, eg (where I have the
EICAR test signature file in /tmp):

clamscan --log=/var/log/clamav/clamav.log --no-summary --infected --remove=
no --recursive=yes /tmp

And magically I get alerts in OSSEC. Very very nice.