One mechanism would be to recreated what samhain, another OSSEC type
tool, does and add a compiled-in key that is used to verify the
integrity of the binary. In the case where it was being packaged by an
outside source, i.e. some distribution repo, you could add additional
key material to verify the integrity for a sites deployment.

http://www.la-samhna.de/samhain/manual/keypad.html
--
Later,
Darin