On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM, dan (ddp) <ddp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> That is very true.
>>
>> Hmm, so why is it I get the error: ossec-agentd(1103): ERROR: Unable to open
>> file '/var/run/.syscheck_run'
>> when I run without any command line options but then the error disappears
>> when I specify "-D /usr/local/ossec-hids"? The two instances should result
>> in the same behaviour?
>>

> No idea, I haven't looked at FreeBSD's port. Perhaps they have it
> configured to chroot to a directory that doesn't contain var/run?

It's possible that this line
(https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/security/ossec-hids-server/Makefile?revision=413754&view=markup#l87)
    @${ECHO} "DIR=\"${STAGEDIR}${PREFIX}/${PORTNAME}\"" > ${WRKSRC}/src/LOCATION
in the port Makefile configures the chroot directory incorrectly.

You can try `strings /var/ossec/bin/ossec-agentd | grep ossec` to see
if it gives you any clues as to what directory is expected.