One solution to the connectivity issue is to install a VPN on all of the
external devices and communicate with the OSSEC server using the VPN. This
is what we do for our clients and it works without any issues.  With regard
to storing events, there is an older Windows event collector called Snare
that had functionality to store alerts when the device was not connected to
the network. You can download the source code for this tool (called Snare
Core) to see what they are doing from this
link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/snare/files/Snare%20for%20Windows/4.0.2.0/

Just a note that Snare is not the same as OSSEC, and does not have anywhere
near the functionality of OSSEC (it is just an event collector with relay
capability).  It also has issues on Windows 2012 Servers, and the community
version has not been supported since 2013. However, if you want some ideas
on how OSSEC could be modified to store alert data, this is good reference
example.  You will need to be a C/C++ programmer to understand the code.  I
have had this as a back burner project to look at it for some time.  If I
ever get around to doing this, I will post it back to the OSSEC project.
 We used Snare in the early version of our Red Gravity cybersecurity tool,
but abandoned it for OSSEC once we realized that OSSEC had greater
stability, was better supported, and ran on all platforms without issues.
 The Snare code is also useful if you want to see how to set audit policy,
group policy, and modify the Windows registry in C++. Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Dave Stoddard
Network Alarm Corporation
12401 Prosperity Drive, Zone 4