Hello All,

I am currently working on a central ossec.conf file which contains our
Windows and Linux configurations for all clients. Here are a few background
details:

1. We currently only have a few Linux deployments and roughly 6 Windows
deployments as a POC
2. All clients have a custom config, specific to Windows or Linux

Now, I'd like to manage clients going forward with a central config file
using agent.conf within /var/ossec/etc/shared. I've followed these steps:

1.Created an agent.conf file, and ran verify-agent-conf without any issues.
2. Ran MD5SUM against the agent.conf and noted hash
3. Ran agent-control -R <ID> against a few clients
4. Ran agent-control -i <ID> and verified that the MD5 changed to match the
agent.conf hash
5. I review the agent.conf file on a Windows client that had updated and it
is blank
6. I review the merged.mg file on the same client and I do see within the
file that the custom agent.conf from the server is present
7. I go back to the /var/ossec/etc/shared/agent.conf and now see that it is
completely blank with a different MD5

Can anyone explain why the agent.conf on the server would have the content
removed? My guess is that if the client doesn't have this info in the
agent.conf that it is only reading their local ossec.conf file?

As a side note, do I need to re-deploy a new ossec.conf to clients out
there with only the server IP configuration or will OSSEC merge the config
with the agent.conf on the server?

Thanks all for the help!

Eric