My only counter argument to your response is that if I do the same tests
with a 2.8.3 ossec server all the tests pass with the expected match of a
windows log type.  So something changed somewhere in the ossec server.
Whether this is a new bug recently introduced between 2.8.3 and 2.9.0 or it
was broken before and now correctly works, I'm not sure, but definitely
something changed.