OSSEC creates checksums and chained checksums of the archives. I need a way
to confirm that the chain is correct.

zcat /var/ossec/logs/archives/2017/Feb/ossec-archive-28.log.gz | md5sum
creates the entry
Current checksum:
MD5  (/logs/archives/2017/Feb/ossec-archive-28.log) =
 in ossec-archive-28.log.sum

Likewise
zcat /var/ossec/logs/archives/2017/Feb/ossec-archive-27.log.sum | md5sum
creates the entry
Chained checksum:
MD5  (/logs/archives/2017/Feb/ossec-archive-28.log) =
 in ossec-archive-28.log.sum

I could create a script to do the check all the way to the beginning.

Does OSSEC provide a method to do this check without scripting it?

I was not able to find that in the documentation (probably checking at the
wrong place)

Thanks
Dominik