Hi All,

I am very new to OSSEC and I need some help with a simple issue. I need an
example rule for the following:

I have a user that have a granular password policy applied to him, this
policy says that this account cannot be locked out like all the other
domain accounts. But because he is then vulnerable to password guessing I
need to know when an authentication attempt fails.

I cannot deploy OSSEC agent to all domain users machines so I restricted
where this user can login, which I have done via ADUC, in the user's
profile I configured the "Log onto" setting and it now contains only the
computers he is allowed to log onto.

So on those computers, I have the OSSEC agent running and when there are
multiple invalid authentication attempts on them with that specific user of
any sort I need to know about it.

I configured email alerts and set the global option to go nowhere because I
don't want all the "noise", then I want to specify only the alerts I want
one by one under <email alerts>. I got it from
here https://www.ryanschulze.net/archives/1666.

So it's under <email alerts> that I want to specify that I want to specify
the custom rule that will fire when this special user has a failed logon.

Please help me with building this rule

<ossec_config>
  <global>
    <email_notification>yes</email_notification>
    <smtp_server>127.0.0.1</smtp_server>
    <email_to>dev-null@email.domain</email_to>
    <email_from>ossec@ossec.server</email_from>
  </global>