For those that might come across the same issue - I was actually able to
resolve this

I noticed that the STORE now was being sent before the ssh banner was
displayed and this was capturing the last login timestamp.

So my first attempt i changed my spwan to

spawn ssh -q $hostname

This was OK for most of the servers, however some were still showing mixed
outputs. The STORE now was still being shown at different output stages
when a banner and motd is used. This seemed random - so I guessed that the
terminal was responding at different speeds to the spwan session.

Adding a sleep immediately after the spwan resolved this.
spawn ssh -q $hostname
sleep 2

Here is the full ssh_generic_diff script with the simple changes:

# Main script
source "agentless/main.exp"

# SSH to the box and pass the directories to check
if [catch {
    spawn ssh -q $hostname
    sleep 2
} loc_error] {
    send_user "ERROR: Opening connection: $loc_error.\n"
    exit 1;
}

source $sshsrc
source $susrc

set timeout 300
send_user "INFO: Starting.\n"
send_user "\nSTORE: now\n"
send "$args\r"
send "exit\r"

expect {
    timeout {
        send_user "ERROR: Timeout while running commands on host: $hostname
.\n"
        exit 1;
    }
    eof {