> On Jun 27, 2018, at 7:53 AM, dan (ddp) <ddp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 6:52 AM,  <r...@gcstech.net> wrote:
>> I have a working OSSEC that I now want to send the output to a Graylog2
>> server.  I added the following to the ossec.conf file between the
>> ossec_config tags.
>> <syslog_output>
>>        <server>192.168.0.33</server>
>>        <port>9514</port>
>>        <format>cef</format>
>>  </syslog_output>
>> I enabled csyslog and restarted OSSEC.  It starts csyslogd but never gives
>> me "Forwarding alerts via syslog" in the ossec.log file and if I run an
>> ossec-control status it gives an error that ossec-csyslogd: Process not used
>> by ossec, removing.
>>
>> If I start ossec-csyslogd in the forground everything works as it should and
>> logs are sent to the Graylog server.  If I run OSSEC in debug mode
>> everything works as it should or did for about 12 hours then failed.  If i
>> run OSSEC normally it never starts forwarding alerts via syslog.
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not sure what to look for
>> next.  It works in the foreground and in debug mode for a while but will not
>> run normally.  Thanks in advance.
>>

> Check for `/var/ossec/bin/.process_list`
> It should contain "CSYSLOG_DAEMON=ossec-csyslogd”

Dan,
        It does contain multiple lines with the above.  After posting I made
one change and added a <level>6<level> line to the ossec.conf and it actually
started cyslogd correctly and has been sending to the Graylog2 server as it
should for the past couple hours.  I am not sure why that made it function
correctly but it seems to have.  Here is the .process_list contents as I am not
sure why the multple lines for csyslogd.

DB_DAEMON=ossec-dbd
CSYSLOG_DAEMON=ossec-csyslogd
CSYSLOG_DAEMON=ossec-csyslogd
CSYSLOG_DAEMON=ossec-csyslogd