Hi Scott,
Indeed all level 0 rules are considered for matching first, but if the
level is the same, the order will be decided based on the rules list in
/var/ossec/etc/ossec.conf file.
In this case it is first matching rule 1 ("*Generic template for all syslog
rules*" which is in the first file specified in ossec.conf: rules_config.xml),
then it goes on to test rules which are children of rule 1, until it
coincides with rule 5700 and finally 5712 which is a child of 5700.

Adding the <if_level>1</if_level> makes it so it is included in the
matching options of every rule with that level, so after matching rules 1
and 5700 it is taken into consideration before rule 5712. Note that rule
5700 is level 0 and is part of the sshd_rules.xml file which is loaded 3rd
by default, whereas local_rules.xml is loaded last.

A great way to verify what the analysis engine is doing is to use the *-v *
modifier of *ossec-logtest* which will provide a step-by-step explanations
of the rules that were attempted to be tested. For example:
echo 'Jul 17 23:33:06 web1 sshd[12133]: Invalid user OPERATOR from
192.168.1.209 port 36916' | /var/ossec/bin/ossec-logtest -v
2020/08/11 21:46:23 ossec-testrule: INFO: Reading local decoder file.
2020/08/11 21:46:23 ossec-testrule: INFO: Started (pid: 5555).
ossec-testrule: Type one log per line.

**Phase 1: Completed pre-decoding.
       full event: 'Jul 17 23:33:06 web1 sshd[12133]: Invalid user OPERATOR
from 192.168.1.209 port 36916'
       hostname: 'web1'
       program_name: 'sshd'
       log: 'Invalid user OPERATOR from 192.168.1.209 port 36916'

**Phase 2: Completed decoding.
       decoder: 'sshd'
       srcip: '192.168.1.209'

**Rule debugging:
    Trying rule: 1 - Generic template for all syslog rules.
       *Rule 1 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 5500 - Grouping of the pam_unix rules.
    Trying rule: 5556 - unix_chkpwd grouping.
    Trying rule: 5700 - SSHD messages grouped.
       *Rule 5700 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 5709 - Useless SSHD message without an user/ip and context.
* ... removed lines for brevity ...*
    Trying rule: 5710 - Attempt to login using a non-existent user
       *Rule 5710 matched.
       *Trying child rules.
    Trying rule: 5712 - SSHD brute force trying to get access to the system.
    Trying rule: 40111 - Multiple authentication failures.
    Trying rule: 51004 - dropbear brute force attempt.

**Phase 3: Completed filtering (rules).
       Rule id: '5710'
       Level: '5'
**Alert to be generated.

Also note that having <if_level>1</if_level> is not ideal because this will
try to match your custom rule every time a rule level 1 is matched,
possibly even more than once for each event analyzed.
Instead I would suggest either making it a child rule of the different
rules usually triggered by the vulnerability scanner or placing it in a
file that is loaded after rules_config.xml whilst being a child of rule 1.

For example run the following commands:
cat > /var/ossec/rules/vulnerability_scanner_custom.xml <<\EOF
<group name="custom">
  <rule id="100002" level="0">
    <srcip>192.168.1.209</srcip>
    <if_sid>1</if_sid>
    <description>Ignore the local vulnerability scanner</description>
  </rule>
</group>
EOF
chown root:ossec /var/ossec/rules/vulnerability_scanner_custom.xml

And then edit /var/ossec/etc/ossec.conf so your custom rule file is near
the beginning:
<ossec_config>
  <global>
    <email_notification>no</email_notification>
  </global>

  <rules>
    <include>rules_config.xml</include>
    <include>vulnerability_scanner_custom.xml</include>
    <include>pam_rules.xml</include>

Let me know if this solves your question.
Best Regards,
Juan Carlos Tello