On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Lonnie <lon...@biofuelstechnologyinc.com>
wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
> I have just recently come across OSv and although I do realize that it is
> mainly designed as a minimalist container OS

Hi,

"container" is probably the wrong word to use here, because it has other
established meanings in this field. It's an OS for VMs, not containers :-)

> , I was wondering about the possibility of having a bootable ISO just to
> play with in some VM's?

I guess it should indeed be possible to convert an OSv image (one compiled
with fs=ramfs, i.e., no read-write ZFS partition) to the ISO format, I just
never tried. You are welcome to try :-)

> I also do know about the download section that has OSv for virtualbox,
> etc..

Yes, we can build images in various formats, including the native formats
accepted by virtualbox, kvm, xen, vmware. The actual content of the image
is the same (OSv can run on any of these hypervisors) just the format is
different.

> but I wondered if anyone has built an ISO that can boot in commodity PC's.

If you want to literally boot OSv on an actual PC, not a VM, you probably
can't - OSv will not have drivers to read your disk, use the network card,
etc. It only has drivers for those which are found in the hypervisors I
mentioned.

> Also, I am wondering about the footprint size as I have ideas about
> possibly using it to make VirtualBox into a bootable self contained
> Hypervisor,

If you want to run VirtualBox inside OSv, that would be an interesting
idea, but we never tried it and it's likely not to work out of the box. And
since you can't run OSv on the bare metal anyway (without adding more
drivers to OSv), I guess you won't want to do this anyway.
Or maybe I didn't understand what you're trying to do....