On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Waldek Kozaczuk <jwkozac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yep I had similar thoughts about security. I would imagine that on AWS one
> would have a "build" EC2 instance where he/she would run capstan and spin a
> "stem" OSv instance to upload files to and take snapshot to create new AMI.
> The stem instance should NOT have a public IP and be only available from
> same VPC.
>
> As far as security goes there are even more potential vulnerability
> problems depending how OSv is built. For example httpserver module by
> default has both read and write (destructive) operations (delete files)
> which is pretty much wide open unless you configure it to use client
> certificate with HTTPS. Therefore I suggested adding read-only mode here -
> https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/issues/820 (which I am planning
> to work on soon).
>
> Also I am curious what version of openssl does OSv use. I remember there
> was this huge security hole in openssl 2-3 years ago (
> http://heartbleed.com/). Which openssl version is OSv using?

That's a good question. The OSv kernel doesn't use openssl, and
applications can pick up whichever version of this library they want, but
if you're asking about the httpserver,
that uses modules/openssl, which takes openssl from external/, which is sad
(see https://github.com/cloudius-systems/osv/issues/743).
The stuff in external is pretty old, I think two years old :-(