re: capstan hosting infrastructure:

my knowledge is a bit rusty, but I believe that Casptan has the ability to
create a repository, so it would be a matter of "renting" space on a public
cloud and providing a method of access for posting, plus a way to browse the
repository to find images of interest.

that way we could build up a supply of community images and get things
rolling...

as it is now (or used to be), only the base osv images are posted, and you have
to build everything starting from those.

As an example, I built a osv+perl image.  Then I added cado (my
codegen/templating language).  so now we have three images that need posting:
osv_base, osv_base+perl, osv_base+perl+cado.

if I wanted to build a cado service, then I could then start with the third
image.

similar for any other language env...  or web-services platform.  think of what
it would take to build a complex web-service api composed of many unikernels,
for example.

then of course you need an orchestration tool to manage your growing stable of
unikernel services... like a rewrite of kubernetes designed to run unikernels
instead of (or in addition to) docker images.

I think there is a demand for unikernels in the microservices space, but I'm no
market expert..

cheers.
/r

P.S.  many apologies for hijacking your thread!  we had a thread about this a
couple of years back which didn't go anywhere - search for "Casptan" in the
list.

P.P.S: there is an interesting research project funded by VMware that provides
the ability to manage vm's like containers: https://github.com/vmware/vic