On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 5:42 PM Gregory Burd <gregb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the status of OSv on ARM in general and how far are we from the new
> AWS EC2 a1 instance type?  Is any of that development related to the KVM
> instance type work?  I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this in
> light of the AWS announcements regarding ARM, but what triggered the
> question was this post about FreeBSD development of elastic network adapter
> and booting on a1.medium (
> https://twitter.com/jmcwhatever/status/1068504971551870977 and
> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4623).

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from anyone in the two groups who previously
contributed the ARM support to OSv, so it's not making any progress.
If I understand correctly, OSv still builds correctly for ARM (make
arch=aarch64) but although the kernel supposedly worked, it didn't have
disk drivers, so you can only build the example application into the kernel
(i.e., a ramdisk, scripts/build image=... fs=ramfs). There's definitely no
support for anything new which just came out. But if you're interested to
work on it, you are very welcome to adopt OSv's ARM support.

Nadav.