On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 6:57 PM Waldek Kozaczuk <jwkozac...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> One of the virtio devices supported by OSv is assigned_virtio. To best of
> my knowledge (based on what Nadav wrote) this driver has been invented in
> order to better integrate OSv with seastar (see #ifdef HAVE_OSV in
> https://github.com/scylladb/seastar/blob/e3466851e047ec7494c983b4f316e1a4464a4945/src/net/virtio.cc#L56
> ).

It saddens me to delete assigned-virtio, but I think that it is the right
move because nobody is really interested in maintaining it or using this
API, and on the other hand, we have someone (you) who is interested in
pushing virtio to do new things and this just gets in the way.

The idea with the "assigned virtio" API was a new API to let the user-space
application interact directly with the virtio ring, without kernel
involvement. This would allow a user-space TCP/IP implementation, bypassing
OSv's TCP/IP implementation.The only user-space program I know that ever
used this API was Seastar, but Seastar can no longer run on OSv (because of
other changes in Seastar that were never tested on OSv), so this doesn't
matter either.

In theory, virtio assignment is still a good idea (for VMs which use
virtio...), but we can always return it when there's interest (and someone
who can test it).