Hello Natasha!.
I am running QGIS 2.18.5 on Windows 10 operating system.
I recall that I kind of fumbled my way into getting the Orfeo Toolbox to
appear.  I do recall there was a reboot/restart involved....and I think I
may have lit a few candles and some incense in my office. :-)

You're not alone about "spending hours".  Fortunately (or unfortunately) I
am unemployed for several months, so I am taking the "opportunity" to learn
as much software implementation as I can.

Frank

On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 11:50:40 AM UTC-5, Natasha
gregory-michelman wrote:

> Hi Frank,
> thankyou for taking the time to respond to my issue here.
> I'm running QGIS 2.18.14 and I'm getting an error about a missing msys
> folder when I set the parameters for the provider.
> So I did some more digging - I've spent hours trying to figure this out -
> and it looks like there is a missing folder in the GRASS app for this
> version of QGIS. That msys folder. In some Stack Exchange posts like
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/183261/qgis-2-14-standalone-grass-provider-missing-msys-folder-cant-execute-tools
>
> they describe some of the msys problem but it's from well over a year ago.
>
> What version of QGIS are you running?
>

> Any thoughts would be welcome!
>
> I'll be checking out your video's!
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ~Natasha​
>
> ​
>
> On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 8:55 AM, Frank Obusek <geofr...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
>> High Natasha.
>> I am also somewhat new.  See my reply to another post on
>> "Configuration".  This is what I have set up, but not sure it is correct.
>> My Orfeo Toolbox algorithms are now listed in my QGIS Toolbox and available
>> for processing.  I have tested a few in the QGIS Modeler.  See the
>> attachment screenshot.  Hope this helps!
>>
>> I have posted a couple very quick "get started with OTB" videos to my
>> GeoFranker YouTube site (
>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmp7fkPWftG1XcWTgxFbr4A).  The basic
>> goal of the videos is achieve quick results and not to be discouraged with
>> some of the complexity and challenges from the outset.  I come from the
>> commercial world, and I am very used to streamline button clicks to get a
>> result.  However, I see great value and processing opportunity with OTB
>> that I have been bouncing around the documentation.  Right now, I am
>> focusing on going through the OTB Cookbook, as that document seems to be
>> dedicated to New Users.  I intend to make it into the OTB SoftwareGuide to
>> deploy more advanced implementations of the software.  Anyway, hope this
>> helps.
>>
>> What I see clearly is that many of the functions available in OTB are
>> ahead of commercial offerings.  Folks "want" to convert to OpenSource, but
>> find the extra effort too much to take the time to make the switch.  My
>> goal is to help clarify some of the hurdles, but I have to learn myself how
>> to implement processes.
>>
>> -Frank
>>

>> On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 2:42:27 PM UTC-5, Natasha
>> gregory-michelman wrote:
>>>
>>> I also followed the directions on
>>> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/229594/how-to-configure-orfeo-toolbox-in-qgis-2-18-on-windows-7-32-bit/229601
>>>
>>> this page but received the same error message re: the msys folder.

> [...]

For more options, visit this group at
to otb-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.