In a message dated 05/06/2001 2:33:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:


-- I can find ways to accomplish practical tasks

<<<<<<<<   But I think this in itself is meaningful occupation for the
individuals who find themselves in a body that doesn't do what they need to
do any more.  If I have a CVA and can't use my right side, I can't dress
myself, and I am depressed because I can't dress myself, then if the OT helps
me find ways to become independent again in dressing, then the act of
dressing is a therapeutic activity in reference to the CVA, and
simultaneously a meaningful occupation in reference to the depression >>>>>
       and I can help to remediate physical
dysfunction, but if I were placed in a setting where I was expected to use
meaningful activities to remediate mental health difficulties, I would be
pretty lost.


<<<<<<   I think you are already doing this, because after all the mind and
body reside together and when one experiences a loss, the other does too.  I
see all my phys=dys clients as also having social, emotional and, I know you
like this one Mike, spiritual needs as well as the physical needs.  >>>>>>>>

S
ometimes it feels like OT is two different professions, one that uses
occupation therapeutically and one that remediates difficulties in
occupational dysfunction. This relates to previous
discussions on the list -- I'm sure the issue will be around for a long
time.

Cheers

Mike

<<<<<<   I have not really attempted to apply this in situations where the
primary diagnosis is psych, so I might be lost too, but I do feel as OTs we
deal with the psych side of phys dis more than any other discipline. >>>>>>>  
 -- Jody

Reply via email to