Just a quick response.  First of all, thoughtful comments from everyone.  What has
struck me in the past 27 years of practice, however, is that there is much of a
continuum in the area of recognition or non-recognition in health care.  We as OTs
feel misunderstood understood and under appreciated.  I have spoken to classes of
music therapists, who expressed their envy at the recognition that OTs get, being
included whenever governments ask for input or comments on health areas.  I have also
spoken to massage therapists, who feel that nobody understands what they have to
offer, and even worse, mistake them for workers in the infamous massage parlours.

This is not to say that we do not need to continue to work on behalf of the profession
in establishing further credibility, definition, evidence based practice, and all that
other good stuff.  It's just the "glass is half full" version of the picture.

Mary Lou Boudreau

Ron Carson wrote:

> Hello Ann:
>
> Thanks for writing back, I enjoy your posts because you really make me
> think!
>
> Regarding evidence of OT being swallowed up, I guess I have several sources
> for my statements:
>
> 1. My experience working in Rehab, Home Health, Private Practice and in
> Education clearly demonstrates to me that by far, the majority of people
> (clients, Doctors, other therapists) have little idea of what OT is or isn't
> and some have little respect for our role in client care.
>
> 2. Several years ago, PT Practice Guidelines expanded to include themselves
> as wanting to be recognized experts in community, and home reintegration and
> in self-care management.  These Guidelines represent an expansion of PT
> philosophy at the National level and clearly represent a challenge to OT's
> traditional domain of concern.
>
> 3. PT's are changing their State Practice Acts to incorporate the above
> guidelines.  The Practice Acts provide language for what PT can legally
> claim to do. Whether they can actually do it better than OT doesn't matter.
> Once it's in their practice act they can legally claim expertise in the
> area.
>
> 4. The strong separation between OT professional philosophy and actual
> practice. For example, I have yet to read anywhere were OT is considered to
> be upper-extremity experts.  However, many OT's practice and receive
> referral for injuries above the waist while PT's receive referrals for below
> the waist injuries. This separation of Philosophy and Practice drives a
> severe wedge in our profession and makes us weak (in my opinion).
>
> 5.  Several articles published in the last 10 years or so which suggest the
> possible demise of OT unless changes are made in our practice patterns.  If
> you are interested, I will provide some references.  In fact, I have OTD
> students read some of the articles.
>
> 6. Numerous discussion I have heard and participated in regarding the fusion
> of OT and PT into a single profession.
>
> 7. OT not being able to open Medicare home health case speaks volumes of our
> diminishing role in that arena of care.
>
> 8.  The migration of Mental Health OT's out of traditional Psychs settings.
> This left a tremendous gap in psych services which has been filled (in many
> cases) by non-skilled technicians.
>
> 9.  Several published articles discussing the ill-fit of OT and the medical
> model of care
>
> Finally, Ann, I don't think that OT is alone with its professional identity
> battles.  Even PT has ongoing debate about the nature of their professional
> identity.  And, I don't think all is ill with OT.  Like other readers have
> pointed out, their are MANY, MANY OT's who are working hard to make ends
> meet and thriving in the mass market of 3rd party reimbursement.  My hat
> goes off to all of them!  And, I certainly don't mean to slander any single
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Boudreau, M.Sc., O.T. Reg. (Ont);Mary Lou
tel;fax:(613) 384-4851
tel;work:(613) 384-6633
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Adaptive Aids & Falls Prevention Project
adr:;;1049 Old Colony Road;Kingston;ON;K7P 1M3;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Program Coordinator
fn:Mary Lou Boudreau, M.Sc., O.T. Reg. (Ont)
end:vcard