Ron,

I have an update to the scope of practice issue in NJ.  As I understand it, NJOTA
representatives very recently met with the PTs to discuss this bill and Meryl now
reports that they have agreed " to amend the language - everywhere in the document
where it lists function with be replaced by movement-related function."  However we
have not seen the amendment in print yet. Other language in the bill states that the
PT scope of practice includes "such other treatments and functions as may be further
defined by the board by regulation."  This language is problematic as it would limit
the PT scope of practice to the imagination of the PT board!  Objections about this
phrase have also been raised.  We will be watching this legislation closely.

Thanks for raising this issue with your listserv members.  We expect a number of bills
to be introduced in 2003 to broaden the PT scope of practice and will be working with
state OT associations to modify or defeat those proposals.   In some states we may
need practitioners to write letters to their state legislators to raise concerns about
these bills.

Chuck Willmarth
AOTA State Affairs Group

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/29/02 07:54AM >>>
Hello All:

In  Volume 4(4) of AOTA's State Affairs Group Newsletter, there's an article
from Meryl Marger Picard, New Jersey's Legislative Chair, regarding Scope of
Practice changes to that State's PT Practice Act.

If  you  are interested, you can read the proposed language at the following
address:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2002/Bills/s2000/1663_I1.pdf

Ms.  Picard  states:  "APTA  wants  this  language  incorporated  since  the
insurance companies are so concerned about functional outcomes" (p.6)

Just another example of professional encroachment issues.

Ron

Unsubscribe? Send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the message's *body*, put the following text: unsubscribe OTlist

** List messages are archived at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/otlist@;otnow.com