Hi Redge,

There is information about the PT Direct Access bill on AOTA's webpage.  Since so many
listmembers are interested I will post the full text to the summary.   In response to
an RA resolution, our efforts have focused on providing state associations with
resources to refine state referral requirements.  Most states do have "direct access"
to OT, but some have physician referral requirements.  In those states that have
referral requirements we are seeking exceptions to the rule for certain areas of
practice.  We are also seeking to broaden the list of practitioners that may refer to
OT.

Chuck
AOTA State Affairs Group

************
http://www.aota.org/members/area1/links/link24.asp?PLACE=/members/area1/links/link24.asp
PT Direct Access Bill

The Medicare Patient Access to Physical Therapists Act of 2001 (H.R. 3363), introduced
on November 28, 2001, would eliminate the requirement for a physician referral for
outpatient physical therapy services under Part B of the Medicare program. The bill
separates speech-language-pathology services from physical therapy in the definition
section in Medicare. It also expands the language in section 1861(g), making no
changes to current law but simply unlinking occupational therapy's definition from the
definition of physical therapy in 1861(p). The definition of occupational therapy in
1861(g) has always been written as simply substituting "occupational therapy" for the
words "physical therapy" in that paragraph. This new approach would substitute full
definitions of occupational therapy and speech-language pathology services in separate
paragraphs.

AOTA is working with the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) to clarify
overall intent and to assure that the bill does no harm to occupational therapy under
Medicare. AOTA is pursuing its own direct access initiative under direction from the
AOTA Representative Assembly, requiring that resources be developed and shared with
state associations to expand levels of direct access under state occupational therapy
practice acts where state laws may inhibit expansion into community-based and other
emerging practice arenas. The State Affairs Group has taken the lead on this effort,
providing lobbying and technical assistance to state associations wishing to pursue
efforts in this area.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 11/11/02 12:58PM >>>
Greetings Colleagues,

I have been following with great interest the strategy of the physical
therapy community in moving toward the entry level DPT and submitting
legislation to Congress for direct access and potentially prescriptive
authority for physical therapists.  I haven't heard much concern raised
in the OT community or in AOTA about the risks of this to our
profession.  While I don't generally support OTs always chasing the PTs
this one has me on edge.

If the physical therapists gain direct access and no longer require
physician 30 day certification for Part B services, they will have a
direct line on access to this population.  If you were a referring
physician, whom would you rather have treat your outpatients?  A
discipline which could directly manage your patient for you with little
or no requirement on your part, or a discipline that required you to
continue to follow your patient actively every 30 days, read and sign 30
day recertification notes, and be held accountable for the intensity of
treatment provided by the discipline?

My guess is that physiatrists would feel threatened and would rather
maintain the close contact with patients, which would benefit OT's.  My
guess is that virtually every other referring specialty physician would
rather just refer to PT.  The result would be a significant hit on OT
access to Part B patients and further increases in scope of practice
challenges as PT's step further into the functional skills arena.

As I see it, we need to have a direct professional response to this by
either requiring this change to be effective for all rehab ancillaries
or we need to vigorously oppose this legislation at the national level
as a threat to patient access to OT services.

Is this on anyone's radar screen?

Redge L Campbell MS OTR/L
Director of Rehabilitation Services
Harrison Hospital
Bremerton, WA  98310
360.792.6531

Unsubscribe? Send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In the message's *body*, put the following text: unsubscribe OTlist

** List messages are archived at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/otlist@;otnow.com