From: Ron Carson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 7:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [OTlist] what is OT?

Hello Lori:

I really struggle with OT's using thermoelectric modalities.

Please  understand  that I have used e-stim, tens, hot/cold, etc as part
of  my  treatment  plans.  And as you say, all of these were intended to
improve  function.  Of  course,  the PT's doing similar treatments also
said that they were trying to improve function.

The reason that I no longer use modalities is because I see them as more
in  the  realm  of  PT  rather  than  OT.  Here's  my reasoning for this
statement.

When  I  talk  with  clients  and  professionals  about  appropriate  OT
referrals,  I  often  say something like: "If the primary concern of the
patient is physical then they will probably best benefit from PT. If the
patient's  primary  concern  is  occupation, then they will best benefit
from  OT" Of course using the word 'occupation' gives me the opportunity
to explain 'occupation' and hence occupational therapy.

I  don't  think  that  OT  and modalities are always mutually exclusive.
However,  I do believe that they are often over utilized by OT. In fact,
I  have  seen  many,  many  treatments  where the OT spent endless hours
trying  to  restore  movement  via  e-stim  when  the patient would have
probably  benefited more from learning how to live a full and meaningful
life after their stroke.

On 8/6/2003,[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Fac> I am with you Jimmie. Modalities were put down(by some) in the past
Fac> if  used  for  any  reason, no matter if followed by or intended to
Fac> improve function or occupation. Lori

-

List messages are archived at: