Hi Jerome,

I was out of the profession for many years and I just took the Canadian
certification exam last November.   I passed so I must have done something
right!  Not the same exam but my experience may be of some help.

The Canadian exam has some similarities to the NBCOT one, both are multiple
choice but the American is 200 questions over a four hour period, and the
Canadian is 300 questions in two papers each 3 1/2 hours.  They both have
the questions in vignette form, but the Canadian exam has one vignette
followed by about 5 to 7 questions all on the one vignette.  I found it more
stressful as it meant that the questions go deeper into each vignette.

I used one of the prep books for the American exam in preparation, ³The
Occupational Therapy Examination Review Guide² by Caryn Johnson et al.   It
came with a CD of practice questions, and  I found doing the practice tests
was the best way of getting used to the format and getting feedback on where
I needed to do further study.  The reason I used it was because there were
no similar guides, with practice questions, for the Canadian exam. I suspect
that there are other guide books which may be good as well but that was the
one I could buy locally.

Beyond that, I found Willard and Spackman was adequate for my needs as it
basically covers just about everything.  In the exam itself I only remember
one question for which I found I was not completely prepared, so not  bad.
I also found the Canadian text "Enabling Occupation: An Occupational Therapy
Perspective" very good in terms of outlining the problem solving and client
centred approach.

Hope you hear from people with experience of the American exam as well as it
will be more specific to your situation.

Regards,

Aine Suttle.