Shiela,

You raise a good point about strengthening the OT curriculum.  The
ACOTE Accreditation Standards are currently being revised.   I believe
that there will be another comment period later this year.   Here is a
link to the latest draft standards document:
http://www.aota.org/nonmembers/area13/docs/draftstandards105.pdf

You are also right about EBP.  This will become even more important as
payers require evidence for payment.   CA WC is already headed down this
road.  And if it works in CA, then it will spread to other states.  HI
and AK are working to impliment similar policies.

You can read about proposed regulations in CA to implement this policy
online at:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/DWCWCABForum/3.asp?ForumID=41&RegID=184

Full Text
http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/ForumDocs/MTUS/ProposedSections.pdf

9792.22. Presumption of Correctness, Burden of Proof and Hierarchy of
Scientific
Medical Evidence
(a) The ACOEM Practice Guidelines are presumptively correct on the
issue of extent and
scope of medical treatment and diagnostic services addressed in those
guidelines. The
presumption is rebuttable and may be controverted by a preponderance of
scientific
medical evidence establishing that a variance from the guidelines is
reasonably required
to cure or relieve the injured worker from the effects of his or her
injury. The
presumption created is one affecting the burden of proof.
(b) For all medical treatment and diagnostic services not addressed by
ACOEM,
authorized services shall be in accordance with other evidence-based
medical treatment
guidelines generally recognized by the national medical community and
that are
scientifically based.
(c)(1) For all medical treatment and diagnostic services not addressed
by subdivisions (a)
and (b) above, or for all medical treatment and diagnostic services in
variance with
subdivisions (a) and (b) above, the following hierarchy of scientific
medical evidence
published in peer-reviewed, nationally recognized journals shall apply
to determine the
effectiveness of different services:
(A) Meta-analysis or systematic reviews of randomized controlled
trials.
(B) Strong research-based evidence (multiple relevant and high quality
scientific studies).
(C) Moderate research-based evidence (one relevant high-quality
scientific study or
multiple adequate scientific studies).
(D) Limited research based evidence (at least one adequate scientific
study).
(2) Evidence shall be given the highest weight in the order of the
hierarchy of evidence.
However, other evidence that is not covered by the hierarchy of
evidence may also be
considered.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 7/6/2005 3:11:26 PM >>>
I am on the other side of the fence about the OT education going to the
doctoral level. There are so many OT's that come into the clinic without
the background they need at a Masters level.
Our PT counterparts graduate from programs that are very very strong in
anatomy, physiology, movement, and yes, their cirriculum even includes
vision, cognition, and ADL training.  We as OT's are not always coming
into the clinic prepared with the education levels we currently have.

I am a huge advocate for my profession, I applaude OT for the jobs we
do and what changes we make in our patients lives.  But sometimes we get
ahead of ourselves.  In my humble opinion, we need to strengthen the
cirriculum we currently have by adding more anatomy, physiology, and
practicle treatment approaches so when you have an OT and a PT student
in the clinic, their book knowledge of the human body does not put them
worlds apart.

EBP is what PT's do and OT's don't do enough.  When was the last time
you documented what you did, how you did it and what outcomes in terms
of function were acheived?  I am forever encourageing the OT's, and the
PT's, in my clinic to document and present. This year at the POTA
confernce I am proud that three staff OT's are presenting clinical
application of our everyday life!  But how many do this?  And how many
back it up with research and literature?  We as a profession fall very
short of our PT counterparts.

I do not think that a doctoral degree will better prepare a student for
the clinic or a professional career.  I think that after practicing and
then returning to the classroom would make a stronger clinician at the
doctoral level.  I know that some of the PT's coming out with the DPT
have said that they have a hard time finding jobs to support the student
loans and some have even said that they were thought to be
over-qualified because of the "D".

We don't need to "follow or get left behind". We need to make our own
road, forge ahead with what works for our profession and what works for
what we do and what we do well.  We need to prepare entry level
clinicians for a field that is gettnig smaller by the minute with skills
that help them think on their feet and treat whatever comes in the
door!
These are just my thoughts, rather long and winded...
Sheila

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Change options?

Help?