I'm a staff person with AOTA, my focus is on state issues, so I can't
address everything AOTA that comes up on this listserv.

>>> 1.  In  my  experience,  most OT's that do not practice according
to the
documents.  In  my  experience, the VAST majority of OT's practice as
UE
PT's  where  the PRIMARY focus is on assessment and treatment of lost
UE
function.

I've seen the same thing.   From a state regulatory standpoint we've
worked to prevent OTs work from being focused on the upper extremity
through the definitions of OT practice across the states.  The scope of
pratice document supports the model definition.    PTs focus on movement
and mobility, it makes sense to me that their focus is in that area
(gait training for example).   However if there are issues related to
occupations, then the OT should be involved.  How to get OTs to change
practice?  I think that happens over time.   But I'm not sure how much
non-AOTA members read our documents.

>>> 2.  The type of therapy described by the documents does not fit
well in
the  medical  model  of  care  or  the current third party
reimbursement
system.

Again from a state perspective, when we developed the model definition
of OT we looked at commonly used CPT codes and worked to make sure that
a component of the definition covered those codes.

>>> While  I  believe  AOTA has documents which clearly articulate OT,
these
documents   are  NOT  being  implemented  and  in  some  cases  can
not
implemented.

You'll have to explain this a bit more.  The model definition of OT
passed by the RA in 2004 was signed into law in New Mexico earlier this
year and is pending in NC.   We'll work with state associations that
want to update their practice acts to get this language into law.

Current definitions of OT in most state laws were derrived from AOTA
model language  at some point in the past.   AOTA uses its official
documents as a basis for policy and payer advocay.   We don't always get
everything we want acknowledged in policy.  The association has 35K
members with finite resources.  There are 115K practitioners in the USA.
 Perhaps if more OTs supported the association through their membership
more could be done.

>>>This  is  the  problem,  we  (AOTA)  says one thing but for a
variety of
reasons,  practitioners  are  doing something else. It is my belief
that
somehow,  the gap between what we say we do and what we actually do
MUST
be  closed. Until this happens, OT will continue to remain on back
steps
of health care.

I agree with you Ron about the gap and we need to get more people "back
into the tent."  We need to bridge the gap between education and
practice.  We need to make sure that our practice will be paid for.  We
need to promote an understanding of the profession to key decision
makers such as insurance companies, referral sources and policymakers.
That's what were working on.

I guess I disagree with you about OT being on the back steps of health
care.  The profession has come a long way since 1917.   OT is recognized
as a benefit in Medicare, IDEA, private insurance and in other programs.
 There are several hundred OT/OTA programs that are training thousands
of new practitioners each year.  I don't disagree that there are many
challenges for OT, but submit to you that the glass is half full.

Chuck