Ron,

I found this list of MEDICARE PROVIDER/SUPPLIER SPECIALTY CODES.
Interestingly I don't see a provider type 31.

http://www.floridamedicare.com/1common_resource_enroll_Provider_Supplier%20Specialty%20Codes.asp#TopOfPage

25 - Physical Medicine and Rehab.
31 - no listing
65 - Physical Therapist (Private Practice)
67 - Occupational Therapist (Private Practice)

I reviewed the LCDs for part A&B, Therapy and Rehabilitation Services
are lumped together.  Perhaps this is why the same provider type is
used, but does not explain why #31 is not listed in the list of
specialty codes on their website.

We have found that many LCDs are antiquated and do not make clear
distinction between OT and PT (and SLP).   Many times there is a LCD for
"therapy" but not separate LCDs for OT and PT.   Remember not to long
ago that ATs were able to provide "therapy" incident to a physician's
service (http://www.nata.org/newsrelease/archives/000284.html).

In terms of the specific LCDs, the descriptions for OT and PT are not
the best, which is one reason AOTA now has a staff person assigned to
reviewing LCDs and providing comments.  The scope of services which
Medicare will pay for (according to the LCD) have an impact on the OT
scope of practice.

FIRST COAST SERVICE OPTIONS
FLORIDA MEDICARE PART A
LOCAL COVERAGE DETERMINATION
http://www.floridamedicare.com/parta_medcov_local_Therapy%20and%20Rehabiliation%20Services.asp

FIRST COAST SERVICE OPTIONS
FLORIDA MEDICARE PART B
LOCAL COVERAGE DETERMINATION
http://www.floridamedicare.com/partb_medcov_local_Therapy%20and%20Rehabilitation%20Services.asp#P-9_0

For more info about AOTA's work on LCD, visit the AOTA webpage and
search for "LCD."  Or click on the reimbursement section of the website,
select Medicare and scroll down to the section regarding LCDs.

Chuck

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 10/25/2005 11:28:56 AM >>>
Hello Chuck:

It's Florida which is First Coast Service Options:

www.floridamedicare.com