Here is a recent AOTA Board Report regarding this topic.

FROM: Ad hoc Workgroup on Implementing Occupation based Practice
TOPIC: Implementing Occupation Based Practice
http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2005-bod/5.pdf

http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2005-bod/5a.pdf
http://www.aota.org/members/area6/2005-bod/5b.pdf

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/06/05 6:27 AM >>>
Aren't "those AOTA people" supposed to be the the practitioners voices?

Identification comes from the top.  How about OT awareness instead of
backpack awareness.

Carmen Aguirre wrote:

>What can you do to help solve the problem?
>It is really easy for all of us to sit and complaint about the endless
disappointments we have encountered in our practice. I am sure there are
more coming...
>The question is: What can we do to help solve the problem? Cont Ed in
Occupational Based intervention?, Study groups with our peers re:
Occupational Based assessments/interventions?, Contact a local shelter
and have patients collect/make/ help with need?. Collect and box coats
for the local homeless shelters ?
>volunteer with our state associations? Mentor a student? Mentor a
peer?, continue to do a dis-service to our clients and pretend/wish  we
were P.T's? ...
>How can we, the very practitioners affected by this lack of identity,
produce the change in our daily practice? Each one of us has the answer,
not "...those AOTA people..."
>Carmen

I was
>  > working with preschoolers and I was the first one to tell them
their kids
>  > weren't perfect. The middle class parents always wanted endless
therapy
>  > and nothing satisfied them. I had a great time with the kids who
always
>  > enjoyedworking with me. Now I  have been in long term care at a
number of
>  > facilites and done a great deal of PRN as well and once again I
found
>  > myself discouraged. I too have seen 99% exercise based therapy. I
have
>  > done some activities when I was in a small facility and the only
OT. But
www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com<http://www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com>
www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com<http://www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com>
>  >
>  > Help?
>  >  [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  >

>  --
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>  Change options?

www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com<http://www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com>

>  Archive?

www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com<http://www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com>

>  Help?
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Change options?

Help?
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]