My 2 cents:

The problem is that there are many OT's who ONLY focus on  'occupation as end'
and justify all their non-occupation internventions ('means'')  because they
will enable occuaption.  The problem is , in reality,  that is usually the goal
of other disciplines too (ie, PT)...it is our use of 'occupations as means'
that makes us unique...

Terrianne

Joe Wells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Hi Ron:
Glad to see some activity again. I prefer the phrase "end product" instead
of "by-product". I do not see a harm in viewing occupations as the "ends" of
our interventions (of course, ideally would like it to be the "means" as
well).  Joe Wells
www.otdnetwork.org

Ron wrote:

> In  my  opinion, a person with an injury is primarily focusing on just
> that,  the  injury  (or  illness).  Not  that people don't think about
> getting  back  to  their  "activities  and  occupations",  but  in  my
> experience  most  people  see  lost  "activities and occupations" as a
> by-product  of  their  injury  or illness, not as the problem(s) to be
> addressed.

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn