Sincerely and a concerned COTA,

B Sullivan

Detroit Free Press
Friday, December 29, 2006
Features Dept/ LIFE “C” section
WHAT”S GOING ON

Play video games safely

  For those children who got new video games and systems this Christmas,
parents need to make sure their youngsters don’t suffer hand and thumb injuries
caused by overuse of those games, the American Physical Therapy Association
(APTA) says.
  Constant stress on tendons, nerves and ligaments in children’s hands and arms
can cause long-term problems such as tendonitis, bursitis and carpal tunnel
syndrome, says Cindy Miles, owner of a pediatrics physical therapy practice in
Whitehall, PA.
  Symptoms of repetitive stress injuries caused by overuse of video games
include fatigue, loss of strength, burning and tingling.

The APTA offers the following advice:

Keep wrists straight. Don’t let them bend downward when holding a game
controller.

Practice good posture while playing. Sit in a chair that provides solid back
support and keep your feet comfortably on the floor.

Stretch and move. Get up and stretch about every 20 minutes to give your head,
neck and
shoulder muscles a break.

Watch for warning signs such as headaches, muscle pain or cramping. If you
notice these signs, take a break.
-HealthDay

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn