Ron,

The debate about upper extremity and lower extremity is frustrating to
me.   Language AOTA's model definition of OT practice does not divide up
the body, nor do state licensure laws which legally define the OT scope
of practice.    We receive many scope of practice questions at AOTA and
publish responses in AOTA's Scope of Practice Issue Update.   Below I've
pasted a Q&A that addresses the question about the "upper body vs. lower
body" issue.

Chuck Willmarth
Director, State Affairs
AOTA

http://www.aota.org/members/area4/links/scope0107.asp?PLACE=/members/area4/links/scope0107.asp#7

QUESTION: I am looking for some clarification of the OT scope of
practice. I am an OT/CHT, working in an outpatient orthopedic clinic.
I'm interested in obtaining credentials to administer functional
capacity evaluations (FCEs). My employer feels that because I am an OT I
would only be able to complete FCEs for upper-extremity injuries. I
believe that I should be able to complete any FCE, including those
resulting from spine or lower-extremity injuries. Does my employer have
the right to limit my scope of practice?

ANSWER: A profession's scope of practice is legally defined in its
state licensure law (in a state with licensure). In addition to language
in the practice act, competency to provide an intervention is critical
and is based on educational background (OT curriculum as well as
continuing education [CE]) and clinical experience. Language in state
practice acts is usually quite broad and will not identify specific
interventions, so practitioners often need to interpret scope-related
questions based on the considerations previously cited, as well as what
is "usual and customary" practice for occupational therapy practitioners
in most environments. You may find the CE article "Understanding and
Asserting the Occupational Therapy Scope of Practice" in the October 17,
2005, issue of OT Practice helpful in responding to these issues. Here
is the link for information on how to obtain the article:
http://www.aota.org/featured/area3/links/i-index.asp

There is no arbitrary division between OT and PT in terms of treating
the upper versus the lower body. It is a function of educational
background and, for OT, a focus on occupational performance in the
intervention plan and goals. Many OTs work in industrial rehabilitation
and perform FCEs on clients with back injuries. However, adequate
training in administering and interpreting FCEs, as well as
musculoskeletal knowledge about the spine and related injuries, are
necessary to do this competently. Many relevant courses are available to
obtain the appropriate knowledge and skills to provide this service.
AOTA members can also subscribe (as a free member benefit) to the Work
Program Special Interest Section listserv and post questions, as well as
request resources in this practice area. Go to the AOTA Web site at
www.aota.org and click on Listservs. After login, select as many
listservs as you wish and specify how you would like to receive the
postings.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/11/2007 10:01 AM >>>
I  know  that  not  ever U.S. OT has the same experiences that I have.
But,  I  hope someone will explain to me why almost every place that I
go,  OT is practiced as UE PT or some timid profession and yet we have
a  national  organization  that  neither  supports  nor condones these
practices.  I've  said  for  many  years  that there's great disparity
between what we SAY we do and what we really do.

But, WHY????

Thanks,

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for
OTs Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn