Terrianne,

  Home care can be such a rewarding venue to work.  It is a wonder that OT
doesn't get more respect as part of the home care team.  It all stems, at least
I think, from the not being a qualifier thing.

  Jimmie

Terrianne Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Jimmie, you make some very good points about the use of exercise in the
bigger picture of OT practice. If only most OT's actually practiced as you
described, there would be no problem. Unfortunately, in my experience--I
currently work in home care and SNF's trans care-rote exercise is the rule
rather than the exception. OTR's are routinely observed in my SNF setting to be
sitting with clients going through graded exercise programs day after day, for
almost all of the clients therapy minutes. In fact, it got so bad last year
that the rehab director, a PT (!), had to put up signs in the therapy area
reminding the OT's that they must adress functional goals related to self
care--apparently an audit of this facility revelaed that OT was using the
therapeutic exercise code nearly to the exclusion of the other codes. This
company is loaded with new grads who don't know any other way to practice.

I theorize that many therapists do not really posess a good understanding of
occupation and the theoretical underpinnings of our profession, so out of
professional insecurity they grab onto things that look "legitimate" so they
don't have to try to explain something they don't understand.

I personally refuse to write goals related to exercises, though it is standard
in both of my practice settings that OT writes a goal for upper extremity home
exercise programs regardless of the clients situation. I write many home
programs which focus on increasing engagement in occupation, and I find that in
home care anyway, my clients are pretty motivated to participate, because the
programs are created to support the occuaptions they value.

Terrianne

Jim Arceneaux wrote: One caveat though: Please don't get stuck in the
ADL/function thing as well. OTs are too often identified as the ADL guys. This
places us, in the eyes of non-rehab. disciplines, as glorified aides. Plus, the
PT practice framework, or whatever they call it, states that PT's address ADL
and function. OT is more complex than ADL or function. Also, in the "rants," as
people called them, several individuals mentioned OTs need to stop doing
exercise. I argue that exercise is no worse than doing mindless activities like
bouncing around a balloon or digging pennies out of therapy putty. Neither is
truly OT. But, we must understand that OT practice must utilize occupation as
its treatment medium of choice while also employing other learned techniques to
facilitate return to the patient's desired occupation. It is not a sin against
the OT gods to do an exercise, but it is also not OT if your primary focus is
exercise. If you
had a patient that couldn't put his sock on
because of hip capsular tightness following an ORIF (that had the potential to
do this without a sock aid) would you run to the PT to ask them to improve the
range for you so you can meet your goal. I hope not! It would be best to find a
way through participation in an occupational task to improve this range, but if
necessary why can't you provide service to meet an establihed OT goal. AS Chuck
stated, there is nothing in my practice act that says I can't and the practice
framework from AOTA supports the addressing of client factors (i.e. ROM) in
meeting occupational goals. I'm not certain why so often fellow OTs will look
at another OT performing an exercise as something akin to a PT, but state
another OT is a fine example while watching them play balloon volleyball as I
mentioned above. You also don't here OTs often stating that NDT is not OT.
Well, really it isn't, but it can be utilized by an OT to facilitate
participaton in occupation. The NDT is no different
than an exercise.

Another rant...Wow!

Jimmie

Chris Smith wrote:
bHalleujah--so many PT wannabees in the field. I have only worked in one LTC
facility out of five that addressed Adls in an appropriate manner and by only
one of the COTA not the other two. Where I am now the OT who does the majority
of the evals and writes an obligatory ADL goal rarely addresses them herself. I
do home health for a company owned by the LTC facility and work both in house
and in HH. After I complained to the rehab director (a PTA of course) that by
pts coming out of the facility couldn't do ADLS she told everyone they had to
do one adl "run through" before DCing--what an attitude. If all we ever bill is
97110 why do they need us? They can just hire PTs. Sorry for the rant. Chris

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn

Never Miss an Email