Hi Bill

I am an OTR who has worked primarily in SNF and hospital based acute
care.  No, things haven't changed ( as you are really aware of :)  )
Another thing that hasn't changed is some professionals
consistent poor quality documentation and/or lack of it.  One SNF I
worked per diem in, I quit because the COTA  (who was the "Rehab
Manager" as well) did not write weekly noted, daily notes unless I rode
him verbally.  My opinion is if it's not documented, it didn't happen
and you shouldn't bill for it.  I finally quit when I had the strong
feeling ( one I couldn't "prove though) that he was billing for
treatment that didn't happen.  He is now gone though and I am back---

Back to the subject matter though----I too have seen a number of PT/PTA
performing activities that "traditionally" OT/COTA have performed with
patients.  I get frustrated when they do tasks sitting when I KNOW the
patient can stand because I would have had them up in the OT kitchen
area ambulating and preparing simple meals.    A group of 8 does not
speak to me of quality therapy and hopefully this was the only group for
these patients in the week.

It is frustrating---makes you wonder what progress your mother could of
made had she had "good treatment".  Not saying she didn't but with the
lack of documentation regarding her PT in the facility one would never

sorry for the mini-rant--some things just drive me NUTS and therapists
who don't do their paperwork in timely manner irk me ( I guess because I
make it a point to get it done no matter how busy I am)
jeanne

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn