I think I'm going to be apologizing for balloon thing for some time now.
Balloon volleyball is not a sin.  Neither is doing exercise.  Neither is doing
NDT.  Neither is doing a craft.  On the other hand, they are not always an
occupation either (before I get the post, notice I wrote not always).  The use
of balloon vollyeball is fine, but, as an occupational therapist, your
interventions hopefully will be a process of addressing occupational
performance.  In the case of Erika's post, she is improving their affect by
using a sensorimotor activity (balloon volleyball).  Affect is a part of ones
ability to socially participate and thus a component of the ability to complete
an occupation.  Bravo!

  Jimmie

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
  And another thing about balloon volleyball. . . I do it with the acute
psych patients where I work in a group I lead called movement and body
awareness. Patients with the most flattest of affect, patients with
the worst of depression, patients who would otherwise be sedentary,
lying in their bed are reaching, bending, moving, increasing reaction
time, using eye-hand coordination, smiling, laughing, interacting.
Now these things may not carry over too far, but at least somehow and
in some way, they were psychologically given a break from all of the
negative thoughts, behaviors, etc. Yes, I get annoyed when certain
staff members joke around and make some uneducated comment such
as, "Oh, Erika, are you here to do the balloon games?" It is my job
to educate and to explain why I do what I do. The thing that matters
most, though, is that most patients appreciate what the group had to
offer. (which isn't just balloon volleyball, by the way). Their mood
has been lifted, they do
n't feel as sluggish, they think better. So everyone's who's reading
this, don't knock the balloons until you've tried them. I was scared
to use them also in the beginning, because I thought patients might
feel infantalized (sp?) or that it would not receive a warm reception,
but it turns out to be the BEST part of the group.

Ahhhh, now I feel better!

Erika