From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mary Alice Cafiero
Sent: Sunday, January 21, 2007 2:59 PM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: [OTlist] Just a word about w/cs

I don't get a chance to post often just because in addition to being
an OT with a sort of widely varied practice I also have three fairly
young kids (10,7, and 4). You can imagine my vast amounts of free
time! :) I do enjoy reading the posts though, and manage to pop in
now and then to get my two cents heard!

I wanted to point out that I am also an ATP which is an Assistive
Technology Practitioner through RESNA the Rehab Engineering Society
of North America. I do lots of wheelchair evaluations and
modifications. Primarily this is for custom wheelchair for kids and
adults who have pretty involved injuries or diagnoses (i.e. CP,
Spinal cord injury, MD, MS, Spina Bifida, etc). I do both power and
manual chairs and work very closely with the actual DME providers. I
do actually carry tools around and do repairs at times. Now, it is
rare that I do things to a standard issue Medicare geriatric chair.
Although I have been known to switch a standard chair to hemi height
when a CVA patient is stuck going in circles cause their left arm
doesn't work at all and their feet won't touch the floor!

The point being, there is a time and a place for lots of things to be
appropriate for OT. I personally think that if it is not possible of
both an OT and a PT to be involved in a comprehensive wheelchair
evaluation, that most often OT has more to offer. We tend to be
better problem solvers and are better at thinking of all the
possibilities and planning well.

Medicare is changing many of the rules that apply to wheelchairs and
the reimbursement that affects wheelchairs, so for anyone doing
geriatrics, it is something to pay attention to. Once Medicare has it
in place, it will most likely trickle over and affect private
insurance and eventually state Medicaid programs.

Gotta run watch the Saints and the Bears second half. Just wanted to
mention this. Obviously it is a passion of mine, and it is not a huge
area of practice in OT. I do think it is very important.

Go Saints!!
Mary Alice

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn