I think I had mentioned earlier that I am an ATP. I agree with you
that users who truly need a standard chair or even a scooter should
not require the services of a therapist with an advanced knowledge of
seating and mobility. I do think that it is something to consider for
the more involved client. Remember that ATPs are PTs as well as OTs.
I think both AOTA and APTA will probably raise enough of a fuss that
the CMS regulation will not actually go into effect, but I think it
is interesting that they are trying something like this. I hope they
will be able to institute something that indicates a higher level of
knowledge for therapists prescribing high end custom chairs. I know
that the one class session I had in school would not qualify me to
make this type of decision or make recommendations to a client about
something that is so serious!

Mary Alice