Heather,

  If I can swing it, would you be interested in consulting with us on our start
up?  I would have to discuss it with the administrator, but I don't think that
would be a problem.

  Jim

"Bleier, Heather N Ctr 65 MDOS/EDIS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hello Jim and Terri:

Thank you for your interest. Regarding "Infinity Walks" and use as a as
a therapeutic medium/examples: I first heard about this tool at a
pediatric vestibular/vision CE by Mary Kawar
(http://www.pdppro.com/ws9.shtml).

I find it helpful as an adult, age appropriate way to get vestibular
input, work on attention, balance/weight-shifting responses, and
tracking. Please see the following web site... (be forewarned, it is a
little melodramatic and "New-age-ish"; however, it explains the tool)
http://www.infinitywalk.org/index.htm.

I work as a traveling OTR. Therefore, my work is typically at SNFs with
Medicare A patients. My favorite patients to work with are those with
CVA. I also enjoy working with patients for fall prevention and with
COPD/respiratory issues. I do work with some LTC patients with dementia
and various types of mental illness.

Basically, I evaluate the needs of every patient, and if SI strategies
are appropriate to improve their function, then I incorporate them into
their treatment sessions and patient education. So, if visual tracking
is an issue, I may do the infinity walk, then follow this with an
activity that involves sciatic eye movement, such as choosing canned
food to do simple meal prep task (I will set up cans in therapy room
kitchen/cabinet in direction/order I want patient to look). If I have a
patient who has COPD and endurance issues, after completing training in
energy conservation techniques I may train them in some postural and
belly breathing activities through their nose to help with quality of
breath, I will especially remind them of their breathing techniques
while we do exercise program or ADL tasks (many of these patients use
accessory muscles to breath, so, if they attempt to lift their hands
above their head, they get short of breath, if they "belly breath" then
this effect is lessoned).

I can think of more examples, but this is all I have time for now. =)

Best regards,

Heather

Enroll in Boston University's post-professional Master of Science for OTs
Online. Gain the skills and credentials to propel your career.
www.otdegree.com/otn

It's here! Your new message!