Ron,
     I have been a member for only a few months and I really hope it keeps
going and thrives. No venue in the OT profession has made me think
and reflect more about my practice than the postings in the OTList! Though
I'll admit that I don't agree with everything you or some of the other
contributers write, it's nice to have someone to ask the hard questions and
bring up the issues that are often not addressed directly in other
OT professional forums .  It's also nice to know that other OT's are struggling
with similar problems.
      At this point I feel guilty about not contributing more to the
conversation..I'll admit I'm more of a listener and observer and open to
incorporationg a lot of different ideas...and try to see things from all
angles.  But I am reluctant to submit a posting at times because I'm not
rigidly attached to certain concepts and assumptions about OT.  Sometimes I
feel there's not enough dissenting opinions or discourse in the profession as a
whole and we are all expected to think the same way from the same
perspective.   At times I grow cynical and skeptical  about  my profession and
since I work in the SNF industry where productivity and medicare issues
complicate practice, I try to make the best of it by focusing as much as
possible on being positive and being relevant as a therapist.
       Sometimes at the end of a hard day it's hard to go home and read about
all the problems  and issues( ie negativity and frustration) I just left at the
office. Perhaps others are in the same frame of mind. There needs to be a
balance of postivitve energy, new solutions, and an equal focus on success and
good things that are going on out there...otherwise the OTList can be a lilttle
anxiety provoking and discouraging.
But the bottom line is that we need the OTList as  community to talk candidly
and openly about the struggle of practice. It is a healthy thing for the
profession to hash out some of these topics...these are the things that
progressive and science based  professions do.
I sincerely thank you for you efforts and contributions, I admire you work and
conviction,
Brent Cheyne OTR/L