Sue,  and  there in lies the beauty of occupation-based treatment. The
approach encompasses almost ALL areas that impair occupation. BUT, and
this  is  big,  remediating those areas is NOT the goal. And yes, yes,
yes,  occupation  does address impairments. For example, I've had many
patients  who  could  not  swing  a leg into the bathtub, or could not
sit/rise from the toilet because of LE weakness. So, I direct patients
to do LE strengthening exercises BUT I don't sit their and count their
reps.  That  is  something they can do on their own. When I return for
the   next   treatment,   the  patient  again  attempts  their  desired
occupation.  If  positive changes occur, then they are doing something
right  and  so  am  I.  If no changes then I will address the exercise
situation.  But  again,  ROM, strength, balance, cognition, etc ARE NOT
THE PROBLEMS AND THUS ARE NOT THE GOALS!

I  do  think  that  OT  can  address impairments soley for the sake of
treating  those  impairments. But, this drives the therapist away from
occupation.  And  in  these cases, I think it's best to claim what the
therapist  does  as  hand  therapy,  low  vision  therapy,  lymphedema
treatment,  cognitive rehab, etc. Because, in my mind these things are
not  truly  OT.  I think I've mentioned that I'm trained in lymphedema
management.  Just  yesterday,  I  was an an SNF getting ready to do an
eval.  The  nurse  asked me if I was the massage therapist (which is a
first for me). I quickly said "no, I'm an occupational therapist doing
lymphedema treatment". In this way, the nurse knew that I was licensed
as an OT but that I was doing lymphedema treatment.

Ron Carson MHS, OT