Hi Angela,
One of the other list serves shared a great sensory activity that focuses on
handwriting and prewriting skills.  It includes the use of a few ziplock bags
and some dishwashing fluid. You take the dishwashing fluid and place it in one
ziplock bag (seal the bag with some tape), place the fluid-filled bag inside
another ziplocked bag and add a different coloured dishwashing fluid to the
second bag (seal with tape).  The kids can now draw/write with their fingers.
The bags can be placed in the fridge or freezer to change the texture (and they
never freeze all the way).  Good 'clean' sensory activity.
Most of the children that I work with also enjoy simple origami activities
(good finger strengthening especially when done with light weight card) - my
favourite being folding paper frogs!  It does need close supervision and I
often end up doing most of the positioning while the kids do the actual
pressing down to form the folds.  They then get to colour/decorate using
writing patterns etc.
Lego activities are also great for organisational skills and strengthening
fingers.

Have fun!
Veronica

PS Joan, I really enjoyed reading about the experience you shared.  It is an
amazing feeling when a child reaches the goals that they have set and the
expression in their face is worth every minute of the work you put in!  One of
the parents I work with recently told me that since starting with OT her little
boy has started 'sparkling' and how much he loves coming to OT - it really
makes a difference when you get positive feedback!