Pat, mind mapping is a technique for recording and recalling large amounts of
information.  It uses the idea that you take a central theme and then links
various thoughts to it e.g. if the main idea is 'my family' there could be
branches like siblings, pets, holidays, etc. Each of those ideas can have
additional 'branches' added forming a 'map'.  It's a technique often tought to
students who are having to recall large amounts of information and something
I used at university as a studying technique.
Ron, I sometimes use it with some of the older children I work with especially
those who are struggling with their memory and organisational skills.

Veronica