Jennifer,
I am talking about inpt rehab.? But none the less your comments about quality
care were highly valued.

-----Original Message-----
From: McLaughlin, Jennifer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Sent: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 5:21 pm
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Doubling patients in acute rehab

That is called dovetailing or overlapping.  Must bill MCR B as group in
these instances as has been delineated in earlier postings.  MCR has
changed and allows Med A to be treated concurrently and billed for the
minutes engaged in tx as this is a minutes billing vs a modality
treatment billing.  I agree that it is rare that we have the luxury of
having patients with that similar a need or functional level that using
a group therpauetically is an option.  I am in charge of OT staffing in
2 CCRC facilities and we do not overlap or dovetail.  Sometimes this
means the resident gets fewer minutes with us but we feel it is
unethical, illegal (in the case of Med B) and not best practice. So we
treat with the believe that fewer quality min of one on one is better
than more time but less quality of minutes.  Yes staffing is hard and
using perdiem staff is only a partial solution. OT service in its most
base nature demands a one on one approach, in my humble opinion.  Good
luck in changing your management's focus, which seems to be very
productivity and reimbursement focused.  Look at the group rates and do
an analysis of the revenue difference for your Med B.  That being said,
sounds as though you may be either talking of Med As or inpt rehab as
there is no 3 hour rule for SNF or Med B clients.
Just a few thoughts
Jennifer McLaughlin, OT/L