From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Bill Maloney
Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:38 PM
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Still Can't Explain OT

I like David's explanation, a lot.  It rings true with my thoughts and
philosophy as well.  And, for what it's worth, Neal, your socialization
treatment for that SNF patient was OT.

Not to add fuel to the fire, Ron, but you'll love this one:  I arrived
at a
patient's home yesterday at the agreed time to find the PT already
beginning
her treatment.  The PT has been on the case (s/p right THR secondary to
hardware failure of previous ORIF) for about 2 weeks already.  The best
could tell from observing her treatment "in the background" as I
interviewd
the caregivers and began to assess the living spaces, I deduced that she
was
working on "functional mobility" which I absolutely address as part of
my
plan, i.e. how can I not address that if we're loooking at safe,
independent
toileting as a goal?  But, when I arrived for my initial OT evaluation,
the
patient was understandably confused.  The PT jumped in and offered the
following explanation:  "Oh, he's the arm guy."

Have a nice day,
feelin' your pain.....Bill Maloney, OTR