As long as the patient knows why they are practicing a specific skill then I am
all for it.? In my experience it usually takes the cognitively intact clients a
few activities to understand how to use a reacher, not an entire session.? They
then can borrow a reacher to use in their room so they can practice for real,
and then ask questions when issues arise.? Now for the cognitively impaired
(primarily moderate to severe dementia) the practice of a reacher is a waste of
time because patients at that level have the inability to learn new
information.? The emphasis of treatment should at that point be on family
training and maximizing their physical abilities, not on cognitive
restoration.? Cognitive compensation might be an option, but don't count on it.
For the mildly impaired I think practice in this area is critical, especially
if they are going to be living by themsolves or not receiving 24 hour
supervision.

What I see in practice is therapists completing? non?therapeutic games and
splinter skills that have no relevance except to capture minutes for a higher
payment level.?Do not get me wrong, ?I am all for activities that promote
social interaction and higher level balance improvement, those activities
sounded outstanding.? In fact I might steal that one for clinical use, since it
deals with dual task challenges, which is supported in the research.?

The grim reality is this: if our profession as a whole continues to complete
treatment interventions that have no relevance to the patients' improvement,
then through the very nature of cost containment we will be phased out.? Pick
up a new book in OT, read a new research article, go to a course, by all means
do all you can to provide relevance to the patient's care and improvement.

Chris Nahrwold MS, OTR