It depends on why there is the double vision. Often the picture can be offset
by changes in musculature of one eye vs another or by difficulty with
convergence. You need to determine which by examination. Then you need to have
a direct plan to address these issues. Depending on where the difficulty is you
can consider partial patching with the Transpore tape to get a single picture.
I would use this for times when it is essential to decrease the double vision
but not 100% as you need to also look at trying to remediate the problem not
just compensate for the difficulties. So a compbination of patching and eye
exercises would be initially where I would start. The situation generally
resolves in a short period of time post surgery if you follow the above. If not
then I would have the patient follow up with a neuro-optometrist who has
significant experience in working with these types of patients. I see this
problem regularyly (as in at least 1 -2 weekly) after stroke or brain injury.
Sue D > From: spark...@rcn.com> To: OTlist@OTnow.com> Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009
08:08:53 -0500> Subject: Re: [OTlist] Double vision> > Thank you. I believe the
double vision is a direct result of the surgery. I> will have to talk to my
supervisor. thanks> > -----Original Message-----> From:
otlist-boun...@otnow.com [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com]on> Behalf Of
ehthiers> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2009 20:56> To: OTlist@OTnow.com> Subject:
Re: [OTlist] Double vision> > > Besthing to do is find a neuro optometrist. Let
them help the person first.> I know we work with developmental/
neuroptometrists in our area. First see> if they can correct for it, prisms,
special patiching, etc. Does the person> get it all the time? Is it just from
vision or also from vestibular issues?> > Elizabeth Thiers, OTR/L> FECTS>
ehthiersfe...@earthlink.net> > > > -----Original Message-----> > From:
otlist-boun...@otnow.com> > [mailto:otlist-boun...@otnow.com] On Behalf Of Ron
Carson> > Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009 3:39 PM> > To: Diane Randall> >
Subject: Re: [OTlist] Double vision> >> > The only compensation that I know of
for double vision is> > patching one eye. Of course, there are complications> >
associated with patching.> >> > Ron> >> > ----- Original Message -----> > From:
Diane Randall <spark...@rcn.com>> > Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2009> > To:
otlist@otnow.com <otlist@otnow.com>> > Subj: [OTlist] Double vision> >> > DR>
My supervisor is just finishing up an eval on a patient who has> > DR> double
vision secondary to brain surgury. Has anyone had> > a patient> > DR> with this
particular deficit and can offer ideas on compensation> > DR> strategies to
perform adls/safe functional mobility. etc? Thanks> >> >> >> > DR> --> > DR>
Options?> > DR> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com> >> > DR>
Archive?> > DR> www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com> >> >> > --> > Options?>