I think it might be common for PTs to work on vestibular rehab in the adult population when people are suffering from inner ear impairments and neurological impairments that effect the vestibular system. The clinic I work for has a specialized program dealing with this with about a million dollars worth of computer equipment and there is a PT who went to a long course to learn how to treat in this area beyond entry level. That is what he does all day long. There are many courses being taught in this area and they have been open to OTs as well from my experience. There is also an OT vestibular geru who wrote many research articles on the topic and even came up with a hiearchy of ADLs to challenge patients as their condition improves to intergrate higher level performance. Cannot recall her name at the moment but I will look into it.

I believe that it is common place for OTs in the pediatric setting to work on sensory integration impairments. This is a much different ball park than vestubular impairments from what I understand.

Chris Nahrwold MS, OTR

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue Doyle <sue...@hotmail.com>
To: otlist@otnow.com
Sent: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:05 pm
Subject: Re: [OTlist] vestibular OT

This again is a very interesting topic. There are many OTs who are trained and work in vestiblular therapy. There are many issues involved and to do it well one needs advanced training but there is so much overlap with visual problems etc and impacts on so many occupational areas. It also involve understanding balance in a multifaceted manner.

I did a lot of work in the area in trauma with mild brain injuries. We see a significant number of clients with impairments after strokes.

Sue D