I would start with breathing exercises, 6-min activity testing to meassure
fatigue and shortness of breath to get a meassurable baseline.  Take pulse
oxymetry and BP to help educate when rest is needed if not aware of it and to
manage energy levels.
Work on basic routines he wants to improve performance and quality; besides the
actual tasks/activities teach maint. pulmonary exercises to manage his disease.
 Medication management to assess how he manages his disease as well. Community
resources and overall health management skill. Balance retraining,
strengthening would be part of my treatment plan.

Carmen

> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:15:25 -0500
> From: rdcar...@otnow.com
> To: OTlist@OTnow.com
> Subject: [OTlist] What Would YOU Do?
>
> Evaluated a man today, recently discharged from rehab. His primary
> diagnosis is congestive heart failure.
>
> He's presents with decreased fine motor control from an unknown
> etiology. He has decreased lower extremity strength and decreased
> balance. He is also short of breath during exertion.
>
> He is unable to do dishes, zip and button his clothes. He is unable to
> independently sit/stand and has difficulty getting into his shower Also,
> he is unable to consistently and safely walk to the dining room of the
> ALF. He desire to NOT use a wheelchair. His primary concern is
> mobility-related daily living activity.
>
> What treatment MIGHT you provide this patient and why?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron
>
> --
> Ron Carson MHS, OT
> www.OTnow.com
>

> --
> Options?
> www.otnow.com/mailman/options/otlist_otnow.com
>
> Archive?
> www.mail-archive.com/otlist@otnow.com

Windows Liveā„¢: Discover 10 secrets about the new Windows Live.
http://windowslive.com/connect/post/jamiethomson.spaces.live.com-Blog-cns!550F681DAD532637!7540.entry?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_ugc_post_022009