While  OT's  are  busy discussing our prowess as UE experts, the "other"
profession is moving in to our true expertise.

The April '09 issue of Rehab Management's article on page 30-32, written
by  Gina  Bernall  is  titled: "Aging Awareness; Planning Ahead Improves
Health Care Conditions for the Geriatric Individual".

The  article  draws  heavily  on  Georgios Voulgairs, PT. Here are a few
comments made by the PT.

        "I  also  look at the bathroom ... in order to get in and out of
        the bathtub." p.30

        "A  senior's  needs also are evaluated when a therapist assesses
        whether  they  can  stand  next  to the sink to wash their face,
        brush  their  teeth, and tend to basic grooming requirements" p.
        30

        "The kitchen is also a crucial consideration" p. 31

On  page  32, the article also briefly quotes an OT, Shu-chuan Chen Hsu,
MA,  OTR/L, CHT, regarding individuals with Alzheimer's or dementia. The
OT's language is very vague, using terms/sentences like:

        "perform daily tasks"

        "increase functional independence"

        "we can give the patient suggestions regarding in-home care"

Now,  let's  pretend we are a patient, caregiver, discharge planner, MD,
etc  reading  this  article.  On  one hand, we have a PT giving concrete
examples  of what they do. Then we have an OT making vague references to
"functional independence". Tell me, which one seems more tangible? Which
one seems more patient specific?' Which one seems to be more of what you
need?

To  me,  this  article highlights how OT's working in adult phys-dys are
giving away the ONE thing that makes us unique. We are literally passing
the  torch to PT. Either that, or we are letting them take it right from
under our noses. At this rate, our little profession is doomed to become
practitioners  of  the  UE,  while  the  PT  profession  takes  over our
traditional domain.

Isn't  this  similar  to  what happened in the mental health? Albeit for
different  reasons,  didn't  mental  health  practitioners abandon their
field  as  it  was  being  replaced by other professions? Isn't the same
thing  happening  in  adult  physical dysfunction? Are we abandoning the
broad  spectrum  of occupation in order to focus on the narrowly defined
upper  extremity?  Isn't AOTA contributing to this "problem" by allowing
PT to expand it's scope of practice to contain language involving ADL's?
Shouldn't  PT's  scope of practice be limited to remediation of physical
dysfunction  and  OT's  scope  of  practice  be  limited to occupational
dysfunction? Doesn't this make sense and sound right? It does to me!

Thanks,

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT