To the OTList:
It is ironic that during this month of April--OT Month- that I have decided to
go against my own  sunny disposition and go with a black cloud of negativity in
my submitted  OTList post.
  After reflecting on my career as an OT,  I'm very discouraged and worried
about my profession. While the job has been a nice living and provided me with
secure employment and good benefits over the last decade and a half (even in a
recession), I cannot bring myself to any level of comfort or satisfaction with
the profession. Granted, I am thankful for the many rewarding experiences I
have had with a few patients and with great co-workers (OT/PT/SLPs) over the
years, the fundamental lack of identity of the profession,  lack of public
awareness or understanding, and uncertain future direction of the profession
leaves me with no sense of confidence about my career development. No respect,
No level of prestige.
I am as confused about OT as I was when I started 15 years ago, and I have been
making it up as I go along ever since. Additionally, I am a male OT which puts
me in an even more isolated position of dispair. Is there something about OT I
don't get due to my Y chromasome?  Frankly, I've been getting-by in my OT
professional life based on being as practical, and as creative as possible, and
I also rely on a heavy dose of what the Irish call "Blarney" or  a humble and
crude charm to navigate and survive in this industry. Sometimes I feel like a
sham or a fake, sometimes I don't think I'm contributing much value to the big
picture. And what really bothers me is that I'm not sure anybody would want to
pay me for what I do if MEDICARE wasn't picking up the tab. If a client had to
prioritize and pick one service to help them through their rehab, I think PT
and speech would have me beat.  My profession is too vague and misunderstood to
everyone
 including me. And this has bothered me to greater or lesser degree my whole
career.
In times such as these I should be very thankful for a good paying job and a
chance to use my training for good where I can. At the present moment that is
what I am trying to do. But as I look at future opportunities, I don't see OT
in my future. The centennial vision targets science and evidence-based
practice, aging in place, driving, health and wellness and a few other things.
As you can tell I have lost my Rose Colored Glasses, and I don't see great
things happening in these areas. . Am I a pessimist if I don't bank on these
areas being a wellspring of success? Even with the onslaught of aging baby
boomers, I think we are missing the chance to serve them due to our wishy-wahsy
ways.
Ron, are you smiling? <smile> I am ranting today...can you tell? I need someone
to talk me down off this ledge! It feels good to get these negative vibes out
of my system. What my next professional move will be...I just don't know.
Thanks,
And  by the way Happy OT Month!:)
Brent

..