Hello All:

My  home health agency recently began receiving referrals from one of my
areas  largest  ortho  practice  groups.  These  MD's  do  lot  of joint
replacement  and  surgical  repair  procedures. From the moment I heard,
I've  been  discouraged  because  I knew that UE ortho patients would be
referred to OT.

Well, I got my first UE ortho referral. And after much thinking, I opted
to  not  see  the patient. Here's an excerpt of the message I sent to my
clinical director:

I  can  not  see  this  patient  for  two  reasons:

1)  I am not competent to thoroughly evaluate and supervise treatment in
a manner consistent with how the referring MD desires.

2)  I  have  professional  philosophical  reasons for not evaluating and
treating patients where the primary focus is UE rehab.

I've  always  felt  that when a patient has an acute ortho injury, OT is
generally  not  needed  for  any  longt-term therapy. OT may have a role
regarding teaching a patient about modifications and adaptations, but in
my opinion, there is little role for OT in acute ortho rehab.

Just wanted to share and hope that maybe others agree.