You go Ron!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Carson <rdcar...@otnow.com>
To: OTlist@OTnow.com
Sent: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:04 pm
Subject: [OTlist] "Healing the Splintered Mind"

>From Advance for Directors in Rehabilitation, Vol 18, No.4

Here's a great quote from the article on page 33:

        "the   role  of  a  therapist  must  expand  beyond  traditional
        objectives  to a view that allows clients to return to community
        ambulation  and  a  satisfying, productive life. This requires a
        thorough  understanding  of  the 'whole person' - a patient with
        unique  physical,  cognitive,  emotional  , social and spiritual
        characteristics.  A  holistic  treatment  plan can address these
        comprehensive  issues  and  define  primary roles for therapists
        across disciplines."

This is a great description of how OT should be. Too bad this is written
by  a  PT  about  PT!  I  left  one word of out the quote's 1st line, it
actually reads: "the role of a PHYSICAL therapist..."

Once again, as adult phys dys OT's are stuck in the STUPID role of being
"crappy  upper  extremity  PT's",  the  PT's  are starting to do what we
should already be doing!

I  sometimes  think  we  are  the  dumbest profession on the face of the
earth.  How  did we ever make it this far? How and why are 1,000's of OT
standing  around  with their thumbs up their nose wasting money and time
doing  non-necessary, non-skilled, UE exercises while patients can't get
from point A to point B to do the things they want?

That  slogan  of  "PT  teaches you how to walk and OT teaches what to do
when you get there" is dumb. It's dumb because patients do not care what
they  are  going  to  do  when they get there! They primarily care about
getting there!

For  a  long  time, I've said that OT should be the mobility experts and
the  above  quote  is EXACTLY why. We, yes OT, is the best profession to
look  at  the multiple factors inhibiting and contributing to successful
engagement  in  mobility-related  occupations.  Why  must  PT  see  that
mobility  is  much  more  than  gait  but  OT  refuses to recognize that
occupation involves gait.

Can  I  teach  a  person  to get from point A to point B? Sure. Do I get
overly involved in the correct procedure of toe off, swing through, etc?
No.  That's  PT!  Do,  I  worry about causing injury from improper gait?
Sure! Do I do stretching and LE exercises? Only to show the patient, the
rest I leave up to PT.

See,  I  think  PT  needs  to  stay  in their well-defined role of being
PHYSICAL  therapists.  They  are  the  EXPERTS  on physical dysfunction.
Strengthening,  ROM,  pain  -  these are PT's domain. On the other hand,
OT's  domain  is OCCUPATION. It's the doing of daily activity from going
pee  to  cooking  a meal to driving a car. It's the rich world of making
our   lives   worth  living.  It's  the  utterly  complex  and  at  time
overwhelming  treatment realm of physical, mental, emotional, social and
environmental  all  rolled  up  into  one  big  ball  of  string! It's a
WONDERFUL place for and OT to call home!

You know, OT needs to heal OUR splintered mind!

Ron

~~~
Ron Carson MHS, OT
www.OTnow.com